If you walked into my classroom during independent work time, you might think some of my students were completely off task. When they're finished early on Thursdays and Fridays, a surprising number of them immediately open GeoGuessr or start wandering around Google Maps and Google Earth. They're dropping themselves into random countries, zooming into neighborhoods, following highways, debating where a picture was taken, and mostly finding each other's houses. My first instinct as a teacher was exactly what you'd expect: "Seriously? We're doing math." But the more I've watched them over the past year, the more I've started wondering if something deeper is happening. GeoGuessr isn't asking students to memorize capitals or recite facts about countries. Instead, it rewards observation, pattern recognition, and spatial reasoning. Students begin noticing road markings, vegetation, mountain ranges, architecture, languages, climate, traffic pattern...

While reading Prenska's article, I mainly thought about myself and how I grew up as a digital native. How technology shaped my classroom experiences going through grade school in the early 2000s. However, your aunt's 1,029th generated ChatGPT picture instantly made me think of my mom, who is undoubtedly a digital immigrant but has embraced technology in a way similar to your aunt.
ReplyDeleteTanner, your post highlights very well how terms like “digital native” can unintentionally create judgments about what kinds of online behavior seem more legitimate or sophisticated. In reality, online communities are messy and diverse spaces where people interact differently depending on their experiences and motivations. I think the most important insight is not whether someone is a native or immigrant, but whether they are able to navigate digital spaces critically, ethically, and intentionally.
ReplyDeletePotatoes at Heart, it truly is surreal to observe and compare those 'digital' generations. From our parents/aunts, to us, and now I'm observing the even more embedded digital nativity of the students I teach, I can't even foresee their capabilities in the Web 2.0 sphere as they get older.
ReplyDeleteFelipe, they are indeed messy. I definitely agree with your mantra about how these folks (regardless of their disposition/time spent in Web 2.0 spaces) interact with others and that their intent is ultimately positive.