Skip to main content

My daughter had a 20-minute impressive conversation with Alexa. Should I Be Worried?

 

My daughter had a 20-minute conversation with Alexa this morning. Like, actually having a conversation with her, not ‘using’ her but talking. It started with my daughter telling Alexa about her recent eye surgery to correct her lazy eye. Then she told her about our dog, Apollo. Eventually, the conversation moved to her hair. Alexa explained that she couldn't see my daughter's hair because she didn't have a camera, so, naturally, my daughter decided Alexa should guess the color. And Alexa played along- using her ‘imagination’. At this point, my wife and I had become invested in this conversation too.

What struck me wasn't necessarily that Alexa could answer questions. We've had voice assistants doing that for years. It was how conversational the entire interaction felt. I eventually asked Alexa whether she had recently been updated because her responses seemed dramatically better than I remembered. Before Alexa could finish dealing with me, my daughter jumped in: "Do you know the 67 trend?" Alexa responded to my question and recognized what my daughter was asking about, despite us essentially turning a voice assistant into the fourth participant in a family conversation.

That's when I started wondering: Should I be worried? My first reaction is actually no—or at least, not automatically. There was something genuinely fascinating about watching a child interact with technology this naturally. She wasn't learning commands or carefully structuring questions so Alexa could understand her. She was experimenting. When Alexa said she couldn't see her, my daughter didn't end the interaction. She adapted the problem: “Okay, then guess my hair color.”

She was also learning about the technology's boundaries. Alexa could hear her but couldn't see her. Alexa knew certain things but needed other information from her. She needed a second to respond to the prompt, so the pauses weren’t really organic (watching the spinning blue around the Echo Dot). My daughter was essentially constructing a mental model of what this artificial conversational partner could and couldn't do—all while having fun.

But I do think there's another side to it….interacting with the internet has traditionally meant opening a browser, typing something into Google, choosing a website, and evaluating what I find. Even Web 2.0 added recognizable humans on the other side: posting on Reddit, commenting on Facebook, sharing something on Instagram, or messaging someone on WhatsApp. My daughter is growing up with something different. She is talking to the internet, and it can talk back. A six-year-old doesn't necessarily understand the difference between a system that produces conversational responses and a person who understands her story. If Alexa remembers context, responds enthusiastically, recognizes interruptions, and asks appropriate follow-up questions, the interaction can feel social regardless of what's happening on the technology side. Watching my daughter talk to Alexa made me realize that the next generation's version of digital literacy may also require understanding what it means to interact with something that communicates like a person but isn't one. There may not be an expectation for this tier of digital literacy yet, but for now I’ll keep Alexa on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the digital native/immigrant dichotomy work?

     I felt, as I was reading the Prenska article, that my knee-jerk reaction was that I was fortunate to have grown up at the right time (mid-late 2000s), when Web 2.0 features were coming into mainstream culture. I was learning them like everyone else, and I had an advantage. My reaction to the digital immigrants was that these were relatively older users I saw on Facebook, either using ChatGPT for the first time and sharing a tacky image (see Figure 1), or exclusively using their online interactions in my local ‘rants, raves, and reviews’ to initiate arguments. My brain's intuition couldn't have been right. Is there a right  way to interact with online communities? That's what constitutes me as a digital native? Are these users who use Facebook and AI in those other ways digital immigrants? Although it's a niche of folks who argue on Facebook, they still use that social media website as it was intended: to connect and interact with others online. So, what is ...

Prodigy Slander won't be tolerated....well, maybe

 Happy Summer, educators. In Florida, anyway! While embarking on my Reddit Challenge, I came across a post on r/edtech about the learning game Prodigy, which has role-playing elements that I've used in my own math instruction. I figured I'd post my initial reactions to this article and talk about how EdTech in the classroom, and more specifically, game-based learning, has been more divisive than we think.  https://web.archive.org/web/20260516165144/https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/2026/05/homework-video-games-ed-tech/687198/     The author of this Atlantic  article, Will Oremus, begins and ends the piece with observations of his son playing the Prodigy learning platform that many classrooms are adopting and integrating into their curricula. From my personal experience in a niche example in 1 school district out of the nation's 18,000ish, Prodigy is used more in elementary contexts (K-5) and then tapers off at the middle and high school levels. The author's...

Understanding Hashtags: From my insufferable, 2011 Instagram Posts, to Legit Instructional Materials

I've never used hashtags to filter my virtual consent consumption until recently. My first attempts at tagging my Instagram posts... 15 years ago... were used to provide additional information about the post and, of course, for comedic effect. They were not used for the practical purpose of having my posts sorted by content. Tags' prevalence in the early 2010s seemed irrelevant to me, personally. At the time, since I had mostly used YouTube and Facebook, tags weren't available until Twitter came along. YouTube was easily categorized by content creators using keywords, and Facebook's search engine found keywords mentioned in posts. I never explicitly saw the #. Now, when X (FKA Twitter) came to my attention in the early-to-late 2010s, the 'tweets' stood out to me as a unique format: a short, concise update followed by a hashtag. On mobile, the hashtags were always linked and took the user to an organized subsection of popular/'hot' posts that contained th...