Skip to main content

My students' obsession with GeoGuessr, Google Maps, & Google Earth

 If you walked into my classroom during independent work time, you might think some of my students were completely off task. When they're finished early on Thursdays and Fridays, a surprising number of them immediately open GeoGuessr or start wandering around Google Maps and Google Earth. They're dropping themselves into random countries, zooming into neighborhoods, following highways, debating where a picture was taken, and mostly finding each other's houses.

My first instinct as a teacher was exactly what you'd expect: "Seriously? We're doing math."

But the more I've watched them over the past year, the more I've started wondering if something deeper is happening. GeoGuessr isn't asking students to memorize capitals or recite facts about countries. Instead, it rewards observation, pattern recognition, and spatial reasoning. Students begin noticing road markings, vegetation, mountain ranges, architecture, languages, climate, traffic patterns, and even the position of the sun. They're constantly asking themselves, "Where am I, and what evidence supports that conclusion?" That feels a lot closer to inquiry than distraction.



As a math teacher, I've also realized these tools naturally create opportunities for mathematical thinking. Google Earth lets students measure distances, estimate scale, compare areas, and even calculate perimeter. It's one thing to find the perimeter of a rectangle on a worksheet. It's another to use Google Earth's measuring tools to calculate the perimeter of the Pentagon, compare the footprint of famous stadiums, or estimate how far someone actually walks through a city. Suddenly mathematics exists outside the classroom walls. More importantly, though, I've started thinking about what this says about digital citizenship.

The article from Jiang & Mingyue Gu, Understanding Youths' Civic Participation Online, argues that today's digital literacy extends far beyond simply consuming information. Instead, young people increasingly learn by participating in online spaces, creating meaning from digital tools, and engaging with communities that extend beyond their immediate surroundings. The authors suggest that productive digital citizenship involves helping young people become thoughtful, responsible participants who engage critically with the world around them rather than remaining passive consumers of information. That made me wonder whether GeoGuessr is building something similar.

Students who spend hours exploring Google Earth begin to recognize where countries are without even studying them. They notice population density, transportation infrastructure, economic differences, environmental changes, and cultural landmarks. They become curious about why cities develop the way they do or why certain regions look dramatically different from others. They're developing geographic awareness almost accidentally. And that geographic awareness often becomes civic awareness.

It's difficult to care about global events if you can't picture where they're happening. It's difficult to understand climate, migration, infrastructure, or international conflict if the world exists only as names on a map. By virtually wandering through places they may never visit, students begin building mental models of communities far beyond their own. I also think there's something important about how these students are learning. Nobody assigned GeoGuessr. There wasn't a worksheet. No grades were attached. They were simply curious.

Maybe the next time I catch a student measuring the streets of Tokyo or trying to identify a rural highway in South America, I won't be so quick to assume they're off task.


Comments

  1. Thank you for this wonderful post! It used to happen to me when I was teaching in-person classes, but I see the same attitude in my children: they become interested and driven to pursue the knowledge they desire. I think it is important that we recognize self-directed learning to a greater extent.
    One aspect that you mention is something I noticed myself - I also try to figure out the picture angles on Zillow by looking at different rooms, or on Google Maps when looking at familiar places. GeoGuessr is completely new to me. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Does the digital native/immigrant dichotomy work?

     I felt, as I was reading the Prenska article, that my knee-jerk reaction was that I was fortunate to have grown up at the right time (mid-late 2000s), when Web 2.0 features were coming into mainstream culture. I was learning them like everyone else, and I had an advantage. My reaction to the digital immigrants was that these were relatively older users I saw on Facebook, either using ChatGPT for the first time and sharing a tacky image (see Figure 1), or exclusively using their online interactions in my local ‘rants, raves, and reviews’ to initiate arguments. My brain's intuition couldn't have been right. Is there a right  way to interact with online communities? That's what constitutes me as a digital native? Are these users who use Facebook and AI in those other ways digital immigrants? Although it's a niche of folks who argue on Facebook, they still use that social media website as it was intended: to connect and interact with others online. So, what is ...

Prodigy Slander won't be tolerated....well, maybe

 Happy Summer, educators. In Florida, anyway! While embarking on my Reddit Challenge, I came across a post on r/edtech about the learning game Prodigy, which has role-playing elements that I've used in my own math instruction. I figured I'd post my initial reactions to this article and talk about how EdTech in the classroom, and more specifically, game-based learning, has been more divisive than we think.  https://web.archive.org/web/20260516165144/https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/2026/05/homework-video-games-ed-tech/687198/     The author of this Atlantic  article, Will Oremus, begins and ends the piece with observations of his son playing the Prodigy learning platform that many classrooms are adopting and integrating into their curricula. From my personal experience in a niche example in 1 school district out of the nation's 18,000ish, Prodigy is used more in elementary contexts (K-5) and then tapers off at the middle and high school levels. The author's...

Reddit Challenge

 Welcome back to the Bistro.  I've decided to tackle the Reddit challenge to help me dive back into the sprawling Reddit community. Here we go:  Part 1: Finding Spaces Find a subreddit related to your academic or professional interests r/dataisbeautiful Find a subreddit related to a personal hobby r/sourdough Find a subreddit that surprises you (something you didn’t expect to exist) r/seasonalfabricbirds Found as I was looking for a birdwatching subreddit. Just wow. Find a subreddit with very strict rules r/kitchenconfidential 11 detailed rules posted right as you come to the subreddit. All about the anecdotes and trials that folks in the food and beverage industry deal with in hospitality. Find a subreddit with very minimal rules r/culinary Pretty straightforward. Keep it about food, and keep it positive. Part 2: Deep Dive on a Subreddit Identify one rule that shapes what can be posted in a specific subreddit On r/books, there's a rule that is very particular about what ...