Skip to main content

Too many messenger apps.... can I just go to one application?

 

 I'm, as my middle school students consistently say (equally as much as the teachers at the same school), "I'm overstimulated." Maybe that's my fault with the lack of restrictions I place on messenger applications as far as notifications go:

"1 unread message from Facebook Messenger."

"Your Web Analytics classmates messaged you on WhatsApp."

"You have 2 unread messages from your family group on GroupMe."

At some point, every little vibration starts feeling equally important. Family, graduate school, work, Love Island premieres, Duolingo pestering me for a lesson, restaurant coworkers through SocialSchedules...everyone gets their own lane into my pocket. None of these conversations are particularly bad. In fact, I'd argue most of them are genuinely valuable. The problem is that they all arrive with the same sense of urgency.

What's interesting is that, unlike the public social media platforms I've been writing about over the last few weeks, messaging apps don't really ask us to perform; they ask us to respond. \ Facebook, Reddit, Pinterest, and X all revolve around broadcasting something into the world; meanwhile, the messaging apps revolve around maintaining relationships and coordinating life. They're less about building an audience and more about sustaining the people already in your network. I'm juggling my master's coursework in one app, coordinating restaurant shifts in another, answering family questions in a third, and somehow still remembering to reply to a student who found the class GroupMe from last semester. Every notification feels like a tiny decision: Do I answer now? Later? Will I forget if I dismiss it? I wish it was all aggregated into iMessage.

What I found particularly interesting in Muljana and Luo's (2023) research was that professionals using social media for learning weren't necessarily successful simply because they had access to more information—they were successful because they became intentional about filtering it. Their participants described setting goals, seeking specific information, ignoring distractions, and reflecting on what was actually useful before applying it. They also reported the exact problems many of us experience daily: information overload, privacy concerns, and feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of communication competing for attention. That feeling I have of being overstimulated by messaging apps is reiterated here. Maybe the answer isn't downloading another app that promises to organize my life, which I've been searching for in this course. Maybe it's recognizing that messaging apps aren't just communication tools anymore—they're learning environments, workplaces, family bulletin boards, and social spaces all wrapped into one notification badge. If I regard every notification as important, then what's arbitrary and what's actually critical? Can I flag some app notifications as more vital than others? I suppose the challenge isn't whether they're useful; it's whether I'm intentional enough to decide when they're useful and when I should disregard them.

Comments

  1. Well, I can help you regarding Duolingo - ignore it. I have a paid-for version that I have been ignoring for 61 days. Right now, it is saying 'Ignored.' I don't care. Having raised five children, I can ignore just about any message I choose to. Just ask yourself what happens if you answer later.
    The interesting part is that it also works the other way around. I was talking to my husband when I started reading your post, and then stopped in the middle of our dialogue because your ideas caught my attention. He knows me - luckily, he will be there when I return from my network travels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Does the digital native/immigrant dichotomy work?

     I felt, as I was reading the Prenska article, that my knee-jerk reaction was that I was fortunate to have grown up at the right time (mid-late 2000s), when Web 2.0 features were coming into mainstream culture. I was learning them like everyone else, and I had an advantage. My reaction to the digital immigrants was that these were relatively older users I saw on Facebook, either using ChatGPT for the first time and sharing a tacky image (see Figure 1), or exclusively using their online interactions in my local ‘rants, raves, and reviews’ to initiate arguments. My brain's intuition couldn't have been right. Is there a right  way to interact with online communities? That's what constitutes me as a digital native? Are these users who use Facebook and AI in those other ways digital immigrants? Although it's a niche of folks who argue on Facebook, they still use that social media website as it was intended: to connect and interact with others online. So, what is ...

My students' obsession with GeoGuessr, Google Maps, & Google Earth

 If you walked into my classroom during independent work time, you might think some of my students were completely off task. When they're finished early on Thursdays and Fridays, a surprising number of them immediately open GeoGuessr or start wandering around Google Maps and Google Earth. They're dropping themselves into random countries, zooming into neighborhoods, following highways, debating where a picture was taken, and mostly finding each other's houses. My first instinct as a teacher was exactly what you'd expect:  "Seriously? We're doing math." But the more I've watched them over the past year, the more I've started wondering if something deeper is happening. GeoGuessr isn't asking students to memorize capitals or recite facts about countries. Instead, it rewards observation, pattern recognition, and spatial reasoning. Students begin noticing road markings, vegetation, mountain ranges, architecture, languages, climate, traffic pattern...

Prodigy Slander won't be tolerated....well, maybe

 Happy Summer, educators. In Florida, anyway! While embarking on my Reddit Challenge, I came across a post on r/edtech about the learning game Prodigy, which has role-playing elements that I've used in my own math instruction. I figured I'd post my initial reactions to this article and talk about how EdTech in the classroom, and more specifically, game-based learning, has been more divisive than we think.  https://web.archive.org/web/20260516165144/https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/2026/05/homework-video-games-ed-tech/687198/     The author of this Atlantic  article, Will Oremus, begins and ends the piece with observations of his son playing the Prodigy learning platform that many classrooms are adopting and integrating into their curricula. From my personal experience in a niche example in 1 school district out of the nation's 18,000ish, Prodigy is used more in elementary contexts (K-5) and then tapers off at the middle and high school levels. The author's...