One of my favorite hobbies is cooking, so naturally my social media feeds are full of recipes. Open TikTok and I'll probably see someone making homemade focaccia in 45 seconds. Instagram Reels will convince me I need to make Korean fried chicken tonight. Facebook serves me "three-ingredient" recipes that somehow become dinner. YouTube Shorts are no different... they're just not great teachers. That's not necessarily a criticism of short-form media. It's asking these platforms to do something they weren't designed to do. A 30-second recipe is less like taking a cooking class and more like looking at someone's sketchbook. You see the highlights, the finished product, and maybe one or two important techniques, but almost everything in between disappears. The mistakes are edited out, the waiting is removed, and the explanations are skipped. Temperatures, substitutions, and why something works often receive less attention than the final reveal.
I've started thinking of these videos as recipe sketches, and users are just tracing from other established images. You can absolutely recreate one successfully, especially if you already know how to cook. But if you're learning from scratch, the experience is very different. Imagine trying to learn knife skills because every video cuts from an onion being whole to perfectly diced. Nobody tells you how to hold the knife, why the cuts matter, or what happens if you do it differently.
That's where I think other Web 2.0 tools shine: Pinterest has become one of my favorite resources because it serves less as a destination and more as an organized gateway. A pin usually leads to a complete recipe with measurements, written instructions, photos, substitutions, and comments from people who've actually cooked it. If I want to compare five different approaches to homemade pasta or roasted vegetables, Pinterest makes that process easy.
Even more valuable to me is the New York Times Cooking app... forget about Wordle. Recipes there don't just tell me what to do—they explain why I'm doing it. They'll tell me why browning develops flavor, why resting meat matters, or why I should salt vegetables before roasting instead of afterward. Over time, those explanations build transferable cooking knowledge instead of just helping me finish one recipe. I've learned a lot; that's the difference between learning a recipe and learning how to cook.
The article we read this week by Alonzo et al. argues that social media is most valuable for education when it supports interaction, feedback, resource sharing, and the co-construction of knowledge rather than simply delivering content. It also points out that different platforms offer different affordances depending on what learners are trying to accomplish. That idea resonated with me because cooking feels like a perfect example. TikTok excels at grabbing my attention and making me excited to try something new. Pinterest helps me organize ideas and compare approaches. Long-form recipe websites and apps provide the depth needed to actually understand techniques. If I get stuck, the comment sections often become another learning resource where thousands of home cooks explain what worked, what failed, and what they would change next.
No single platform does everything well, and my mood, what I'm looking for in entertainment or inspiration, definitely determines where I choose to spend my time online. As someone who teaches and spends plenty of time in restaurant kitchens, that's probably the biggest takeaway I've had from Web 2.0 this semester. We sometimes ask whether a platform is "good" or "bad" for learning, but that's probably the wrong question... It's just about context and what the strengths are in respective contexts and what might be a shortcoming in others. For me, short-form video is incredible for inspiration, Pinterest is excellent for curation, and the New York Times Cooking app is where I actually learn to cook better. Although I can use all three when I'm in my DIY home-cook mood, there's a pretty clear distinction among them.
Comments
Post a Comment