I had one of those "kids these days..." moments
recently and felt particularly old. My nephew sat down to play a few of my
suggestions: Wii Sports Resort, Donut County, and, oddly enough, Dave
the Diver. I guess he knew about this indie darling from a Fortnite skin
(figures..). Within minutes, he was organizing his inventory like he'd been
playing for years: fish went where they belonged, resources were grouped
together and valuable items were protected. Nothing seemed random.
It reminded me of how naturally he plays Minecraft, too- watching
him made me think back to my own childhood. When I first played games like World
of Warcraft or Skyrim, inventory management felt like work. I
remember backpacks constantly filling up, forgetting where I stored items,
accidentally selling something important and having to buy it back for just as
much as the original cost, or carrying around way too much junk because I
didn't know what I'd need later. Inventory management stopped feeling like a
mechanic and started feeling like second nature for today's kids. Why was my nephew
so much more inclined to this feature than I was? I don't think it's because
children are somehow naturally better at organizing digital spaces…. I think
they’ve grown up immersed in them.
Modern games like Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox,
and countless survival or crafting games constantly ask players to sort,
prioritize, combine, discard, and retrieve resources. Inventory isn't a side
mechanic anymore; it's part of the language of gaming. This semester has made
me think about how Web 2.0 changes learning. Kids aren't just learning from games;
they're learning around games. Before even owning a game, many have watched
hundreds of hours of YouTube videos, Twitch streams, TikToks, or gameplay
clips. They've picked strategies from Discord and Minecraft wikis. They're
participating in communities where experienced players casually model efficient
inventory habits without ever calling them "inventory management." I
can testify, as a middle school teacher, that when kids aren’t playing video
games, they’re watching videos and consuming video game content. That feels
very Web 2.0 to me.
Learning isn't confined to a classroom or even to the game
itself. It's distributed across creators, online communities, tutorials,
livestreams, comment sections, and conversations with friends. The knowledge
doesn't belong to one expert—it emerges from thousands of people sharing tips,
solving problems together, and demonstrating better ways to play. As a teacher,
I can't help but wonder what other "invisible skills" students are
developing before they ever enter my classroom. If games are quietly teaching
inventory management, prioritization, and resource allocation, maybe other
online communities are doing the same for entirely different skills. After watching
my nephew instinctively organize a digital backpack better than I could at his
age, I'm beginning to think he's been practicing those skills for years without
either of us realizing it.
Comments
Post a Comment